Welcome !

Welcome !

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Inversion, Exercise 1

                     TEST ON INVERSION

1. No sooner had I reached home............................the telephone rang.
a) than   
b) when   
c)----  
d) then   
e) immediately

2. ..................... that you were in hospital, I would certainly have visited you there.
a) I had known    
b) Had I known   
c) If I knew   
d) Knowing  
e) should I know

3. ..................... left the building, when the bomb went off.
a) Hardly have we   
b) Hardly we had  
c) Hardly had we   
d) If we   
e) we had no sooner

4. Under no circumstances ........................any compromise.
a) there can be    
b) which they can    
c) like they are   
d) that there can be  
e) can there be

5. ..................... must  there be any repetition of such tactics.
a) sometimes      
b) not only   
c) very seldom   
d) once in a while   
e) until

6. ...................... else can there be a woman like this, so everybody admires her.
a) Anywhere      
b) Somewhere   
c) Where   
d) Nowhere      
e) What

7. At no time ................................ the office without getting permission from my boss.
a) I left   
b) did I leave   
c) I didn`t leave   
d) did they notice  
e) not only did they notice

8. Not until the thief left the house, ..........................him although they were at home.
a) they noticed   
b) they didn`t notice   
c) didn`t they notice  
d) did they notice  
e) not only did they notice

9. ....................... lost in the market, the staff of the shop will help him.
a) Were the boy to get   
b) The little boy gets   
c) Should the little boy get   
d) The little boy should get     
e) The little boy were to get

10. Never ............................. any doubt about the matter.
a) has there been     
b) hasn`t there been    
c) there has been   
d) there hasn`t been     
e) there should be

11. ..................... greedy, I could have bought a lot of jewellery.
a) If I had      
b) Had I been    
c) Should I be   
d) I had been    
e) I hadn`t been

12. Only from that student .....................the truth.
a) could I understand   
b) I understand     
c) I understand that   
d) I could understand         
e) I could have understood

13. Even less ..........................of what the teacher is thinking.
a) we know             
b) what we know     
c) that we      
d) do we know    
e) which we know

14.  ........................... informed them of the mistake in time, your students would have never succeeded.
a) Had you not    
b) You hadn`t     
c) You had     
d) Did you     
e) That you had

15. Not until I came into the class .......................... her illness.
a) I had realized            
b) did I realize    
c) have I realized    
d) I realize   
e) I realized